How it all began…

I used to love mountain biking. I would ride a few times a week, usually with my friend Amy. One day at her son’s soccer game, she heard about a race involving mountain biking, running, and military-style obstacles. It was called Muddy Buddy, and it consisted of teams of 2. There were 5 sections to the race, each varying in length from 1 to 2 miles. One of the team members would start out running, while the other one biked. At the end of each section, each person would complete an obstacle, then trade places. The person on the bike would now run, while the runner took over on the bike. At the end, we would have to crawl thru an enormous mud pit while avoiding barbed wire. I’ve always been a thrill seeker, and I’ve been in good shape most of my life, so when Amy told me about this, I was really excited.

Amy and I started running at our local high school track. Both of us had a really hard time with running. Our first several times out, we could barely complete one lap around the track (1/4 mile). It was kind of discouraging because we went out there with almost no knowledge about running, not to mention we didn’t have the right gear. After running for about a week, I found that I was always happy during and after a run. I felt so free. I’ve had some battles in the past with depression and stress but while I was running nothing seemed to matter other than breathing and an occaisional sip of water. My problems seemed to melt away as the “runner’s high” kicked in.


Soon enough, race day was upon us. Neither of us knew what to expect when we got out there. We had absolutely no idea how many people were attending. When we got there, we found out there were over 2,000 participants in the race. They announced the start of our wave, so Amy and I made our way toward the start. As I toed the starting line, the adrenaline started flowing. The music blared, and the hundreds of spectators cheered as the gun went off. I put on my game face, and started making my way thru the hilly (and sometimes muddy) trails. I had the greatest time navigating the course, and tearing thru the obstacles. About an hour and 15 minutes later, we completed the race. Although we were poorly trained and completely unprepared, we completed the race and ended up in the top half of all of the teams. I was hooked. After the race, we enjoyed a couple of the complimentary beers that they served and all I could think about was doing this again.


  1. runoffwriter says:

    Hey, Tim, thanks for following Run it Off! Always good to read about other race addicts;) Don’t have near the experience you now have but hope to get there someday! Best of luck!

  2. Hi Tim, thanks for liking my post on Post Natal Transition – you’re an inspiration – I’ve still got a long way to go!! X

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s